Of all desserts, loaves are probably the most versatile! You can have them with a latte in the A.M. or enjoy a slice (or two, no judging) on its own. Not to mention, there are so many combinations you can make. My favourite? A marbled mix with chocolate and vanilla –that way, you get the best of both worlds.
Sometimes when I make them from scratch however, the cake turns out a little too dry, or doesn’t rise as it should. So I came up with a quick and simple solution: start with a box of pre-packaged cake mix, and turn it into your own creation! To make this marbled loaf, here’s what you’ll need.
1 box vanilla cake mix
1 1/3 cup of water
1/3 cup of oil
1 tbsp coca powder
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sifted cake mix along with the eggs, water, and oil (as in quantities above or according to package instructions)
- Mix well eliminating any lumps.
- In a greased loaf pan, pour 2/3 of the cake mix.
- Add 3 tbsp of cocoa powder to the remaining mix, and pour over existing one in the pan in a straight line down the middle.
- Using a skewer or knife, swirl the mix around to create a marbled effect.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, then quickly sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean!
Style is served!