Scones are often made to be sweet, but sometimes we need a break from all that sugar! Switch things up with a savoury alternative –they’re great for serving at brunch, or grabbing for a snack on the go.
This recipe is extra yummy, with crispy bacon bits, warm cheddar, and a hint of dill and chives! To make it even better, you can add smoked salmon and butter once baked. Try it out for yourself, it’s sure to become a favourite!
3 cups of flour
2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup bacon bits
1/4 cup fresh chives, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 410 degrees Fahrenheit
2. In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, bacon bits, and chives.
3. Mix in the butter, and knead until you have a crumbly texture.
4. Beat the egg and milk together in a separate, smaller bowl. Add to the butter/dry ingredient mixture little by little, until your dough has formed. Knead until smooth.
5. Split the dough mound in 2 rounds. Roll out each into 1 1/2 -2 inch thick circles. Cut into quarters and round out the edges with your hands.
6. Place onto a greased baking sheet, and bake for 20-25 minutes depending on your oven and until golden brown. Let scones completely cool before enjoying!
Style is served!